Sunday 4 January 2015

2014 Book Favourites!

Picking a small selection of books that were my favourite in 2014 has been very hard! I love to read books and have a small collection of just over 200 of them to myself. You can call me greedy if you want but I'm just a bookworm.

I've tried to mix my selection up a bit and pick books from different genres and also ones that you may not have heard of before.

The Queen of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
Absolutely loved this book! I ended up reading until silly hours in the morning because I couldn't put it down. It's written from the perspective of Kelsea. I especially love that Kelsea who is a princess isn't amazingly beautiful. It adds a touch of realism and also reminds us that looks don't get us places in life, our motivation and determination do.
This book is also supposed to be a combo of the Hunger Games and A Game of Thrones, but that's not the reason I picked it up.
Not for the faint hearted.
"Even a book can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and when that happens, you blame the hands, but you also read the book."

Alienated - Melissa Landers
I'd never heard of this book or the author before, but someone from instagram recommended that I give it ago. Although it's a bit cheesy, I still love it. This novel features an almost 'forbidden love' plot, yet also includes the idea of aliens as if they are not so different from ourselves.
If you are looking for something with a romantic theme but also something a little different then this is definitely the novel for you!
"It's common knowledge that shiny rocks are preferred among human females."

Girl Online - Zoe Sugg
Even though I am a fan of Zoe on YouTube, that was not the entire reason I read this book in the first place. Girl Online discusses issues of online bullying and anxiety, and personally I feel this was done in a way that not only helped its readers but did not make the book dismal.
Zoe has also had a lot of criticism for having help when writing this book. However, these negative opinions have not swayed my view on this book as I still believe that Zoe's ideas and concepts make up the groundwork of the novel.
"Sometimes you have to face up to your fears to realise that they aren't actually real."

Delirium - Lauren Oliver
A friend of mine suggested that I read this book. Within a week I had read all three books in the trilogy. Lauren Oliver writes so beautifully and had me held in from the very first page. The trilogy takes a completely different twist on the idea of love and treats it has a disease know as 'armor deliria nervosa'. The plot follows Lena who falls in love weeks before she is supposed to the 'cure' for love.
It was this novel that made me fall in love with dystopian genre of books. Since reading this trilogy I have read other Lauren Oliver novels and can say that she is one of my favourite authors.
"I love you. Remember. They cannot take it."

 
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
This will always be my favourites children's classic no matter how old I get. Lewis Carroll plays with the ideas of logic and anthropomorphism, yet is also considered literary nonsense. Even though this a children's book, reading it now as an adult I know consider the darker elements of the books, such as the Queen of Heart's obsession with beheading and the caterpillar's drug usage (although subtle). The kind of book that can not only entice children and adults is both a rare find and a masterpiece.
"I can't go back to yesterday because I was different person then."

No matter how old I get I will also be a bookworm. I will always have a book that I'm reading and one day I want to have written the book that people are talking about.

What's your favourite book and why?

xxMegan 

1 comment:

  1. I really need to read the rest of the Delirium series! I remember loving the first book so much. The first dystopian books I read were the Uglies series.
    You can't ask me what my favorite books is. That's not fair! One of my favorites is A Little Wanting Song because the main character resembled me so much - too quiet to take charge of her life and she's just amazing in who she is. I also love How Not to be Popular, A Monster Calls, and Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver).

    ReplyDelete